Happy Shack Chicken Cacciatore
This one isn’t realistic for backpacking, but it will work just fine for a desultory evening over the tailgate.
- Pan fry 4 chicken thighs with skin in olive oil and shallots, onions, or garlic. (Add one thigh each for more people)
- Pancetta would be an optional plus for the pan frying stage, although a wee bit of bacon would perform admirably.
- Once chicken is cooked, add 1 can each of black beans and diced tomatoes (fresh just dandy if available). White cannellini beans, of course, would please any Tuscan, but I like the black ones.
- Add a small can of chopped black olives
- A generous ounce of capers with their vinegar
- One sliced onion
- Basil and oregano to taste
- A cup of red Salamandre wine if you can spare it
- Cholula or other hot sauce to taste
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Simmer and reduce until sticky…about an hour